What would you like to see an article on?

Starting out for the 'virgin' DJ

For me and many people who are just getting in to DJing, a big question is what is djing? And not only that but what/how do djs do what they do. When I learnt to dj I had friends who showed me the ropes but before I had met them I really had no idea what djing was. Obviously everyone knows old school djing as scratching but in this day and age of technology it becomes a little more unclear. Djing is still a very beautiful art form but it is more abstract and hard to decipher than it once was. It may seem dumb to post on a dj website and seem like a very elementary topic but like many others I found my way to dj tech tools when I was first starting out and looking for information. I do realize that djtt has beginner videos on youtube and such but for someone who has no idea what djing is or the 'point' of it some vocabulary and lack of knowledge of say the "purpose" or "procedure" to djing may make it difficult to understand even beginner videos. A lot of videos apply to practiced djs but still not anyone to the skill and knowledge of Ean Golden but it would be nice to see a super introductory video to say the 'virgin' dj. Even if it is less club or performance based and even more for house party use, for beginners to gain a good base in and understanding in djing. Allowing for a very rudimentary video would help many young people looking to get into this hobby that we all love so much. Coming from their position I know it would be a huge help and can't wait to see what the masterminds at djtt can come up with.

-Cheers

42 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dominic GalanteDominic Galante shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! Without wasting the time of pros, some '101' or 'for dummies' level articles would be helpful. I bet you could expand your core following this way.

Further, I'm even more interesting in control of arrays of LED RGB lights, in connection with music. I have some old professional exterior building quality fixtures from Color Kinetics (now a div of Philips) which was high price high quality. I collected these one by one on ebay over years before all the rolls of cheap LED among other things. Now I'm at a loss as to what to use to get started that can address fixtures of both types using DMX-512 protocol I suppose, but via 'Traktor' or whatever? Need some intro info. What I have right now is a copy of Color Kinetics old software that was so elusive it cost $800 on ebay!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yessssss omg i totally agree with this guy..genius. So many people I know always ask me what im doing when i deejay and such and i think and article or video on this would be awesome to help integrate newbies into our community and definitely get some new people hooked!

Feedback and Knowledge Base