What would you like to see an article on?

Pursuing DJing as a Teen by Making a Business

I feel like I am a lot of kids out there who want to become a DJ. I like to think of myself as a DJTechTools student because I have been following the blog since I was 13 years old. (I am almost 18 now.) With the tutorials and information on DJTT I was able to grow as a DJ.

I started out with an i-Mix controller that was only mapped for Virtual DJ. No, that was not going to work. So I posted a message looking for help with a mapping for Traktor 2.1. A user from France graciously help me develop a mapping which I share with others to this day.

Once I refined my skills enough, I looked for gigs. Now, to put things into perspective, I come from a small town with little to no music scene. The only gigs I could get were school dances and birthday parties. These all varied from being a human i-pod to an actual mixing performance. I created a brand for "DJ Houdini" and a profitable mobile business. I could eventually upgrade my equipment to a Stanton 4DJ and a Midi Fighter Spectra.

Fast forwarding a couple of years, I now host my own podcast and have a production on iTunes, Amazon, ect. I feel I have a long way to go because while I do practice my skills frequently, I still have to worry about going to school. I have the struggles of a normal teen who is trying to go to college, keep my GPA above 4.0, and compete in extracurricular activities.

The point of this article would be to provide some insight on pursuing a passion for music as a young teenager. While I have come a long way, I feel there is still a ways to go before I am a successful DJ. However, through DJTT, I have laid a foundation stemming from DJTT tutorials, Mad Zach Soundpacks and Techniques, and the community. I want other kids to know that just because you are young, that doesn't mean you are limited.

100 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dean Zulueta shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Macka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every one has a story to tell and just about every one wants to be a STAR.
        Really to be truthful you should get a real job and just keep your DJing to the hobby level.
        Practice your gramma and lear to be a sprocket.This way you'll earn more money.
        You see, every one thinks the same even the business person running the gig where you would DJ at and they think it's too easy and they think they could do it better so, why pay you for something that they were once wanting to be a STAR doing but are now a frustrated STAR ,so GET A REAL JOB AND GROW OLD GRACEFULLY young man and don't wait for the call that will never come for the wishful STAR .Sorry but it's true and it's good advice.

• Felix Mirus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that's a great idea, because I also am a young 'dj' and I would really know what to do to get started with making money from the hobbie.

• Kieran M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea, because while many of the articles are aimed at "how to get started in the digital dj scene", they're aimed at people in their early twenties and the like. wish they had more articles focused on the younger generation. They're gonna be the ones fuelling the next generation of djs, so there should be some more focus on them. just a thought though. keep up the good work djtechtools!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

great,thanks for the lift man,am trying too,I have some issues though with softwares and sound cards for a laptop (windows 8).could you suggest some

Feedback and Knowledge Base